In 1926, at the request of Cardinal Mundelein, Fr. John Fleming came to Waukegan to found a new parish for the growing Catholic population in Waukegan. At the time Glen Flora Avenue was part of Waukegan’s northward expansion and Fr. Fleming decided on Glen Flora Avenue and Ash Street to be the church's location.
The Sisters of the Holy Child Jesus, who built a girls' high school a few blocks from this site, offered their gymnasium for a celebration of Mass for the new St. Anastasia parishioners until the Glen Flora site was completed.
Groundbreaking occurred on October 10, 1926, and within one year the church/school (currently on Glen Flora Avenue) and rectory (currently on Douglas Avenue) were completed. The dedication of this new church took place on October 23, 1927, with Cardinal Mundelein presiding. The school opened in September 1927. At that time tuition was $1 a year and there were 106 students.
In October 1963 the parish celebrated the groundbreaking of the “freestanding” church. Cardinal Meyer dedicated this new building, with its distinct architecture, in December 1964. The original church sanctuary and nave has since been converted into today's school gymnasium.
Fr. Dennis Zalecki joined St. Anastasia in July 2014. He is the eighth pastor of our parish. Preceding pastors are Fr. John Fleming (1926-1931), Msgr. Joseph Cussen (1931-1936), Msgr. Joseph Garrity (1936-1964), Msgr. Joseph Connerton (1964-1971), Fr. Edward Maraczewski (1971-1986), Fr. Terence McCarthy (1986-2002), and Fr. Aloysius Funtila (2002-2014).